Post graduation work permit

Home 9 I want to Work 9 Post Graduation Work Permit

What is a post graduation work permit?

Post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) are open work permits given to international students who have graduated from a Canadian designated learning institute (DLI). PGWPs allow the holder to work for any employer, for as many hours they wish, anywhere in Canada. PGWP can only be issued a once in your life time and hence it is very important to understand the requirements and eligibility criteria before applying for a program. Learn more here

PGWPs are a great way to obtain valuable Canadian work experience. Once an applicant has work experience in Canada, it opens opportunities to obtain Canadian permanent residence.

PGWP facts

  1. A post-graduation work permit can be valid for any length of time between eight months and three years. 
  2. A PGWP will not be issued for a duration longer than the applicant’s duration of study in Canada. 
  3. Generally, the PGWP will be approximately the same duration as the applicant’s period of study, up to a maximum of three years.
  4. If more than 50% of your program of study is conducted via in-person classes, you are eligible for a PGWP equal to the duration of your program of study. However, they is a temporary COVOD-19 policy that allows an exception.
  5. If you studied part-time, or did accelerated studies, the length of your PGWP will be the length of your program of study, if taken full-time.

Eligibility requirements for a PGWP?

To obtain a post-graduation work permit, you must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. You must also submit clear evidence that you meet all the following criteria:

  • You have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program with exceptions for leave from studies and during the final academic session. 
  • You have received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that you have met the requirements to complete your program of study.

You can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada or from another country if you’re eligible. You have up to 180 days after you graduate to apply for a PGWP and you either hold a valid study permit or have previously held a valid study permit.

Can I gain PR with a PGWP?

Canada’s post graduation work program is designed to provide an efficient path for international students in Canada to gain permanent residence status. By bridging Canadian education into meaningful full-time work experience in the country, you may be eligible to apply under the Canadian experience class in the express entry system. You will gain valuable extra points towards your comprehensive ranking system (CRS) score making you more competitive against other applicants in the express entry pool and under the provincial nominee programs.

Let us kick start your road map to permanent residency in canada

Use our contact form to send your request.

Please fill in all fields required (*) so that we can respond to your request as soon as possible.