Spousal & partner sponsorship

Home 9 I want to Sponsor 9 Spousal

Do you want to sponsor your spouse /partner?

Many people leave their families behind to build a better future in Canada in hopes that they can re-unite in Canada. We know how important it is for families to be together. For this reason, the government of Canada prioritizes family sponsorship.

How can I qualify to become a sponsor?

You may apply to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the same or opposite sex if you meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 18 years or older;
  • You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident (living inside Canada), or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian act, (if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the person you sponsored becomes a permanent resident.
  • You must be able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability; 
  • You must make sure that the person being sponsored does not need social assistance from the government; and
  • You must be able to prove that you can provide the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring.

What is the difference between a spouse & a common-law partner?

  • Spouse: A relationship that is concluded by marriage and is recognized by law in the country that it took place and also recognized in Canada.
  • Common-law partner: A relationship where you are not legally married but have been living with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months.

You may not be able to sponsor if you:

Receive social assistance (this does not include social disability);
Have sponsored someone else within 3 years of becoming a permanent resident in Canada;
Have defaulted on an immigration loan or performance bond;
Have not paid alimony or child support (if applicable);
Have been convicted of a crime;
Were sponsored yourself and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago;
Are in a jail, reformatory, prison; or
Are under a removal order

Minimum necessary income (MNI) requirements

In most cases, there is no requirement to meet the minimum necessary income (MNI) for the spouse/partner sponsorship but you are required to demonstrate that you are financially able to care for your spouse/partner. However, if either a spouse or a partner you’re sponsoring has a dependent child who has a dependent child/ren of their own, you must meet the MNI which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

Sponsorship undertaking

One of the requirements to sponsor a family member is that you must submit a sponsorship agreement  and undertaking with your application. It is a promise to financially support the person you are sponsoring for the prescribed length.

An undertaking cannot be terminated

As a sponsor, you will continue to be financially responsible for your spouse/partner even if the:

  • Relationship between you and the sponsored person changes
  • Your financial situation deteriorates
  • You submit a request to withdraw the application to sponsor after it has been received by the government and the sponsored person becomes a permanent residen.
  • Sponsored person becomes a citizen of Canada
Couple Hands Tattoos Fingers

Outland vs inland spousal sponsorship

Family Class (Outland)

You may submit your application under this stream if:

  • If your spouse/partner lives outside of Canada.
  • If your spouse/partner lives inside Canada but does not plan to stay in Canada for the duration of the application process. 

Spouse/Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class (Inland)

You may submit your application under the spouse/ partner in Canada class if your spouse/partner:

  • Cohabitates with you in Canada.
  • Would like to work in Canada while the inland application is being processed.

While both application streams have their own benefits and downfalls, it is important to understand the limitations within each stream before making an application. 

Depending on which application you choose to apply under, the supporting forms may vary. 

Can My application be refused by IRCC?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) thoroughly investigate the legitimacy of every relationship in an effort to ensure that the applicant is not committing a marriage fraud in order to immigrate to Canada. If the immigration officer is not convinced that the marriage is true, they may refuse the application.

Not sure what you are looking for?
Talk to us, we can help!

Use our contact form to send your request.

Please fill in all fields required (*) so that we can respond to your request as soon as possible.