Parents/grandparents sponsorship

Home 9 I want to Sponsor 9 Parent/Grandparent Sponsorship

How does the parents and grandparents sponsorship work?

Once you have settled in Canada and wish to reunite with your parents and grandparents, Canada has a specific sponsorship program that allows for reunification for parents and grandparents.

You can only sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption. You cannot sponsor your in-laws. However, you can be a co-signer on your in-laws’ application. The Canadian parents and grandparents’ sponsorship process is unique in the way that the sponsorship application works.

IRCC will open a window where interested individuals may complete the interest to sponsor form. IRCC then randomly selects applicants and sends out an invitation to apply (ITA) after which you may then submit your application to sponsor.

How to become a sponsor?

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if:

  • You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian act.
  • Meet the income requirements.
  • You support your parents / grandparents and their dependants financially.
  • Meet the minimum necessary income (MNI) for this program by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of your sponsorship.
  • You can successfully demonstrate that you have met the minimum necessary income (MNI) for three consecutive years. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both persons can be included; and
  • You and the sponsored person must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the you to provide financial support for the sponsored person for up to 20 years.

You may not qualify if you:

Are receiving social assistance, except disability assistance.
Have a history of defaulting an undertaking. If you have sponsored a family member, spouse, or dependent child in the past and you did not meet the required financial obligation, you may not be eligible to sponsor again. 
Have failed to pay family or child support
Are an undischarged bankrupt
Have been convicted of a criminal offence that involves harming a relative; and
Are under a removal order

The IRCC will perform thorough background checks to ensure you do not possess any of these factors that disqualify you as a sponsor

What if you didn’t receive an invitation to sponsor your parents or grandparents?

If you prefer not to go through the hassle of a permanent sponsorship but would like to have your parents visit you for up to 5 years without having to renew their stay, contact us, we can help with that.

Didn’t get an ITA? Apply for a super visa instead.

Use our contact form to send your request.

Please fill in all fields required (*) so that we can respond to your request as soon as possible.