Frequently Asked Questions

Home 9 FAQ


What is an RCIC?

A regulated Canadian immigration consultant (RCIC) is an authorized immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada (IRCC) representative, who is hired to evaluate your Visa application and submit it on your behalf. An RCIC is licensed by the regulatory body; college of immigration and citizenship consultants (CICC).

RCICs are experts in the immigration field and walk you through the over whelming immigration system.

Why hire an RCIC?

Would you trust an unlicensed doctor to perform surgery on you? Probably not! The same thing applies for your immigration process. RCIC’s are trained and mandated to keep up with changing immigration policies keep your interest at the forefront. Moreover, IRCC only allow three types of professions to provide immigration advice and services:

1) Regulated Canadian immigration consultants (RCIC) who are in good standing of the college of immigration and citizenship consultants (CICC).

2) Canadian immigration lawyers and paralegals (Ontario only) who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society.

3) Notaries who are members in good standing of the chambre des notaries du quebec.

Immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada clearly states. We won’t deal with representatives who charge a fee but are not authorized. If you use an unauthorized representative, in Canada or abroad, we may return your application or refuse it.

How can I verify the status an RCIC?

Many claim to have the experience in the Canadian immigration filed but it is important that they are also authorized to provide the same. To verify the status of an immigration consultant, you can search the public register of college of immigration and citizenship consultants (CICC). You can search with either their name and/or their RCIC#. Verify our status


If I hire an RCIC, will the outcome on my application be guaranteed? What if my application is refused?

As you know, there are no guarantees in the immigration business, however we are dedicated to maximizing your chances of approval. In the event your application is refused for any reason, other than misrepresentation, we offer a one free re-submission on some applications. You will only need to pay for the government filing fees, not our professional fees.

Beware; If anyone guarantees your immigration application you are likely dealing with an unauthorized representative.

Can I pay by installment? What is your refund policy?

Cliq conneqt immigration solutions operates client funds through a trust account in accordance with CICC client account regulation.

Payments can be made upfront and held securely in the client trust account or payments can be made per milestone. Client funds will be withdrawn from trust account as per payment schedule identified in our retainer agreements.

As per CICC regulations, payment is made for the time that an RCIC has invested into the application and not for the result of the application. Hence, it is illegal to provide a refund for an unfavorable decisions. However, If you wish for us to withdraw from representing you, any unused funds will be refunded less any administrative costs as per our retainer agreement.

What happens after I sign the retainer agreement?

At this stage we agree to work together. By signing the retainer agreement, you now become a part of us. We formally represent you with immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada (IRCC) and we create an account for you to access via our client portal. You are important to us and we handle your case with dignity, respect, and compassion.

What can I do if I can't find information on this site?

Don’t worry send us an email and we will be happy to assist!

Immigration can be overwhelming and confusing and therefore we have intentionally tried to simplify the information we have provided. If you cannot find what you are looking for, send us an email and we will be happy to assist.

Express Entry

What is express entry?

Express Entry is Canada’s most popular economic class; It is an online system that manages immigration programs for permanent residency for skilled workers. Canadian experience class (CEC), federal skilled worker program (FSWP), federal skilled trades program (FSTP) are all administered under the express entry system.

This type of application is a two-step process where you submit your profile into the express entry system (if you meet the requirements of one of the qualifying immigration programs) and are then assigned a comprehensive ranking system (CRS) score.

If your score to be selected, you will be issued an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residency application.

What is the express entry pool?

Individuals who are entered into the pool of candidates must be eligible for one of the immigration programs including the federal skilled worker program, the federal skilled trades class, Canadian experience class or the provincial nominee program. IRCC are able to select candidates from this pool and will issue them an invitation to apply for one of the above immigration programs.

What if I do not receive an Invitation to apply (ITA)?

There is no guarantee that you will be selected from the express entry pool.

Your profile is valid for one full year.

If your profile is expired and you have not received an ITA, you can create a new profile for another year.


Can I sponsor a member of the family class?

To sponsor a family member as a permanent resident under family class sponsorship, the sponsor must fulfill the following conditions:

  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada aged at least 18 years.
  • Reside in Canada, if they are a permanent resident. Canadian citizens can sponsor a family member even when living outside the country. However, he or she must reside in Canada when the sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident of Canada.
  • Have adequate resources to provide financial support to the sponsored person for the mandated duration.
Who can I sponsor under the family class sponsorship?

The following categories of individuals can be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

  • Spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner;
  • Parents and grandparents;
  • Dependent children;
  • Unmarried children aged less than 19* years; or,
  • Children aged above 19 years and above if they are dependent on the sponsor for financial support due to physical or mental conditions.
  • Other Relatives; Siblings, nephews or nieces, or grandchildren who are orphaned, aged below 18 years, and don’t have a spouse or partner.
Can I sponsor my same sex spouse / common-law partner to Canada?

Canada is an open and all -inclusive country. Same-sex marriage is recognized and legalized. Canada does not place restrictions on same-sex marriage when it comes to immigration applicants. However, the marriage must be officially recognized by the country that certified the marriage.

How long is a sponsorship undertaking valid for?
Person you sponsorLength of undertaking of all provinces except Quebec
Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner3 years
Dependent child (biological or adopted) or child to be adopted in Canada under 22 years of age10 years, or until age 25, whichever comes first
Dependent child 22 years of age or older3 years
Parent or grandparent20 years
Other relatives 10 years

Work In Canada

What is an LMIA?

LMIA stands for labor market impact assessment. An LMIA is a written approval of a Canadian job offer issued by the Canadian government, issued to a Canadian employer who wishes to hire a foreign worker.

Can I get a work permit?

Obtaining employment in Canada can be quite difficult especially if you are outside Canada. Many employers are not looking to hire foreign nationals. This is because most employers need to apply for an LMIA before they can offer you a job in Canada. Without this, the job offer itself may not be sufficient to allow you to apply for a work permit.

You can search for opportunities on Canadian job sites like the job bank but you need to be aware of scams.

Permanent Residency

What is the Canadian permanent resident / PR card?

Once you have immigrated to Canada and have physically arrived, you will be issued with a permanent residency card. This can take several weeks to be issued and will not be given to you on arrival. You will use your card as your proof of status in Canada and you will also need to use it with your passport when traveling into Canada.

Will I be allowed to work as soon as I land in Canada?

As a permanent resident of Canada, you are allowed to work, however, you will need to apply for a social insurance number (SIN) before you can be hired.

What are my rights as a permanent resident status?

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

  • Get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage,
  • Live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
  • Apply for Canadian citizenship,
  • Protection under Canadian law and the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

You must pay taxes and respect all Canadian laws at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

Living In Canada

As a new immigrants, are there any free services that I can use to help me?

There are immigrant services centers throughout Canada to assist you whether you are looking for help with daily life, language training, looking for a job or any assistance to ease you into a new culture. Once you are in Canada, you can use these services by simply clicking their site.

Am I entitled to free health care as soon as I arrive in Canada?

Canada has a universal health care system funded through taxes. This means that any Canadian citizen or permanent resident can apply for public health insurance. Each province and territory has a different health plan that covers different services and products.

In some provinces, new permanent residents will have access to provincial health insurance coverage as soon as they arrive. In others, there is a waiting period of up to three months.

Private health insurance can cover your needs during this period.

How do I find a school for my children?

Canada is home to many excellent schools for children of all ages. From public schools to private academies, religious schools, and french immersion, there are plenty of options to choose from.

In Canada, most children start kindergarten at the age of four or five, and school becomes mandatory as of grade one, which tends to be around age six. Depending on the province or territory, teens must stay in school until they’re between 16 and 18 years old.

All children in Canada are entitled to a free public education, meaning there’s no fee to enroll in these schools. Public schools are available in both official languages, English and French. Canadian public schools tend to serve a particular area within a neighborhood. This means that the public school(s) your child can attend will depend on where you live.

Immigration can be overwhelming and confusing and therefore, we have intentionally tried to simplify the information we have provided.

If you cannot find what you are looking for, send us an email and we will be happy to assist.